For those users’ on Subscription, you can now download the Revit 2011 Shared Parameters Converter from Subscription Center. I want to go through 2 approaches to using this extension and the steps below:
Convert Family Parameters to Shared Parameters
Say you have a number of families which contain parameters set to Parameter Type > Family Parameter.
You can convert same-named family parameters for any number of files through the following steps:
1. Add-Ins > Extensions Manager > Shared Parameters Converter.
2. First specify the 3 folder locations for the Source files, Destination files and Log file:
Source – All of the files you wish to convert
Destination – Where the updated files will be copied
Log – Records the process information for each family file updated in a text file saved here.
3. Next specify which shared parameter text file you wish to utilize parameters from.
4. Once you have all of the locations set, copy and paste any number of families you wish to convert into the source folder. These original files will not be modified.
5. Then click Configuration; this will read all of the groups and parameters from the shared parameters text file you specified. Expand any groups and highlight a parameter. Click the right arrow to add it to the list to replace as a shared parameter. Specify which category to group the parameter under:
6. Click OK when complete. Then click Run to start the conversion process. The modified family files will be copied into the destination files location.
Add Shared Parameters to Family Files
The process is the same as above, but the difference here is that you will be selecting shared parameters from your shared parameter text file to add to families.
If a parameter, with the same name does not exist in the family it will be added as a new shared parameter. You can use this approach to quickly add a number of shared parameters to family files.
I have also included the 5 conversion rules the utility will follow from the Help file below:
1. For the parameter of source file not contains the same name with configuration -- -- Add the shared parameter according to configuration.
2. For some family parameters with same name already exist in source files -- -- Change the parameter from family parameter to shared parameter, and assign to the group (except for "other" group) according to configuration.
3. For some family parameters with same name and different properties (Instance/Type) already exist in source file -- -- Change the parameter from family parameter to shared parameter only, other properties constant
4. For some shared parameter with same name already exist in source file -- -- it will regarded this file as failed file and copy it to failed folder which is at the same lever of the destination folder
5. For some family parameter with same name and different types already exist in source file -- -- it will regarded this file as failed file and copy it to failed folder which is at the same lever of the destination folder.